This being July (!), we’re now seeing the incredible bounty of summer, especially the fresh version of our favorites that we wait for all year long. I HAVE IT ON GOOD WORD that green beans will arrive at this Saturday’s market just in time for your 4th of July celebrations.
Green beans have got to be one of our most familiar veggies – but if you’re feeling a little stuck for something new, they are also extremely versatile. Here are some ideas for new twists on this crowd-pleasing veggie:
- Everybody Loves Feta: This green bean salad is prepped quickly, marinates for about an hour and is then served cold.
- Get fancy (it’s easy, but just sounds fancier in French!) with barley and corn salad with arugula and haricot vert from Smitten Kitchen.
- Grilled! It it had never occurred to me to toss green beans on the grill (they’d fall through, right?). Cooking Light‘s grilled green beans can be made in a grill basket, or you can use heavy duty aluminum foil. (Ask The Garlic Press in Normal about grill baskets.)
- Parlez vous haricot verts? Make a classic French salad that is the definition of summer.
- Pesto: Smitten Kitchen’s beans with almond pesto is going to impress your guests
- Pickle it: The Food Network has one for sweet and hot quick pickled green beans.
- Martha says she’s got some game-changers for your beans.
- Quick sauté: Debi Mazar’s green beans and cherry tomatoes
- Spicy: I’m eyeing up this one for Sichuan style green beans.